Oxford life. Thirtysomething challenges. Music leanings. Anything really.

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

It's still sad

I am doing some temping work right now. It's elaborate data entry. I am being kept sane by the ability to listen to CDs as I work. Without that ability, I would probably be fast asleep. As it is, it makes the work enjoyable - it's so automatic, I get a real chance to _listen_ to the music rather than just hear it.

CD of the day is the original 3 EPs album by the Beta Band. It's excellent stuff.

It reminds me of John Peel though. I don't know why, because I am pretty sure I came to the Beta Band through another friend rather than Peel's show. Whatever the reason, the link to Peel popped into my head, and there it is: the hollow feeling of loss. It's not always there, and it's not always painful, but sometimes it just jumps out on you and lingers around for an hour or a day.

Endless comparisons between him and Lady Diana are implausible, mainly because I had no time to worry about that woman. Peel was my Lady Diana. (ha, what a line, you'd think I thought that up and had to construct a whole blog post around it).

And with Peel goes the access to new music. Zane Lowe doesn't cut it. Rob de Bank is great, but the BBC are going to axe the show, and anyway, they no longer get many demos. When Peel was around, he would receive about 30 demos a week. And now it's down to 3 or 4.

I've never been one to really get into the most popular bands. I always enjoyed the ones who were more marginal. And Peel was where I found them. Where do I go now?

PS Looking for links and finding this set of photos has just made me even more depressed about it

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?