Oxford life. Thirtysomething challenges. Music leanings. Anything really.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

I'm an oddball

I wrote recently about the fantastic types of people you get in the library.

Today, I went to do some work there. I am doing some CD testing for Harcourt Education; their CDs are early maths products aimed at 6-10yr olds.

So there I am in the library, looking mature and professional, laptop, notebook, pen. But using software that is all primary colours, talking animals, and challenging sums like “10 + 3 = ?”

Doing this testing in the offices of Harcourt or RM is fine, passers-by understand why you are using the software. In the library, I expect the people passing me think “Ahh, he looks like he’s in his mid-thirties, and look, he’s trying to improve his basic maths skills. Good on the old boy.”

I’m also listening (through headphones) to Fighting Talk, Radio 5’s quality sports punditry show, and every now and then laughing out loud. I don’t think this helps my image as they see Sympathy Boy in the corner grunting and snorting in his own world of talking mathematic animals.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?