Oxford life. Thirtysomething challenges. Music leanings. Anything really.

Saturday, February 05, 2005

The Knee Remains Closed

The title sounds like some experimental play but it refers to what was going to be an upcoming operation. Two years ago I snapped my ACL playing Ultimate Frisbee. It hurt like nothing else, and effectively ended my Ultimate career.

No worry, I got myself on the NHS waiting list and concentrated on cycling.

30 months later, the operation date is set and with much mental anguish I decide to go ahead with the op.

But with 12 days to go, I have decided against it.

The knee is to remain in its broken state. Why?

For two years, I've been able to compete at a high level in mountain biking. I can run. I get no knee pain. And there is a whole summer of events to look forward to.

Fixing the knee is a major op, with a long rehab period, and a slight risk of ending up no better off than I am now.

I've come to terms with never playing ultimate again, and the realisation that the last two years have seen me continue almost as normal.

So, why bother undergoing major surgery? I have been stressed about it, and after conversing with some trusted physios and nurses, I am not doing it. The instant I made the decision, a weight lifted off me.

Ironically, my knee now feels sore - the inevitable psychological side-effect.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?