Oxford life. Thirtysomething challenges. Music leanings. Anything really.

Monday, December 26, 2005

My girlfriend's opinion of my home town

I grew up in Stockport. Famouse for.... um, not a lot. A lovely place to be based, it's near Manchester, vibrant city of the North. And on the edge of the Peak District, a beautiful region of the country.

And it's on a major train line, so getting out of there is easy.

It's also an ugly town.

Liz came on the train for Christmas day. I picked her up. The first sentence out of her mouth when we walked out of the station:

"Does Stockport always smell of shit?"

It seemed strangely appropriate, and fortunately, we didn't leave our house again once we got there.

Checking out the Wikipedia entry on Stockport, however, does make it out to be a vibrant place with a fair deal of interesting history. Believe me, it's not as good as it sounds.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?