Oxford life. Thirtysomething challenges. Music leanings. Anything really.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

What name would you choose?

I am updating my CV today, to send to some potential clients.

Recently I have done a lot of training work for Connexions-Berkshire. Connexions is a government body that forms a young-person's support network. It provides help finding jobs and training, and also offers counselling and lifestyle advice.

All good stuff, then.

But it's only just struck me that it's name is ridiculous. I'm filling in a list of clients on my CV, and I have to write "Connexions-Berkshire". If you were an employee, looking for potential candidates, would you look at that and think, "Hmmm, this bloke can't spell, he's an instant reject"?

I would.

So what should I do? I will spell Connections correctly on the CV.

But what kind of message does this send to young people? If the government itself creates a body specifically aimed at improving the standards and opportunities for young people, why on earth can't it manage to spell the name properly?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?